Here are a few practical strategies you can follow to practice safer drinking from the HeretoHelp Safer Drinking resource by our colleagues at the Canadian Institute for Substance Use Research.
Before you drink:
- Eat food to reduce how quickly your body absorbs alcohol.
- Think about why you want to drink.
- Set a limit on how much you’d like to drink, on a given day and within a week.
- Know the strength and volume of your drinks.
- Track your drinks to stick to your limits.
- Pace your drinks by alternating with water or other non-alcoholic beverages.
Make sure you always have a way to get home safely by bus, cab, or a ride with someone who has not been drinking.
Explore other safer drinking strategies in the Safer Drinking resource.
More information and resources: